Monday, September 5, 2011

A Grand Cake for Grandma

This weekend I got to deliver a very large cake for a very great lady.  My very dear friend Catherine, and her husband Justin, were celebrating the 90th birthday of his grandmother.  She is probably the spunkiest 90 year old you'll ever know!  She lives in a very beautiful house on Lake Burton, and she, like so many others, suffered some damage in the awful tornado this spring.  This party was a fabulous opportunity to put that behind and celebrate her life.
This cake needed to feed 100, so it was massive.  I certainly didn't want Catherine hauling it up to the mountains by herself (it can be stressful!), so I volunteered to deliver it.  Works out well, because Grandma's house is about 20 minutes from my family's house on Lake Rabun.  Sister came with me, and we were able to swing by and say hello to our family while we were in the area.
This delivery was a bit tricky-- 72 miles with a huge cake in my lap, ending on 3 miles of the windiest, bumpiest gravel road you've ever seen. Still, we made it, with much laughter along the way.  Best delivery assistant ever!!

Top tier is orange pound cake with buttercream filling.  Middle tier is 4 layers of chocolate with fudge filling.  Bottom tier is sour cream pound cake with alternating raspberry and lemon filling.  Buttercream with fondant accents.


No comments:

Post a Comment