Thursday, May 19, 2011

Puppies, Penguins, and Panning for Gold

What do they all have in common, you might ask?
They are all the favorite things of Doug, for whom I created a birthday cake today.  His wife sent me that rather motley assortment of items, threw in UGA and the mountains for good measure, and asked if I could do something with it.
I had just recently seen a cake similar to this on CakeCentral (go there some day and try to not spend 3 hours.  Just try!  And then go to CakeWrecks and laugh until you cry!), and was dying to try it.  Wendy, Doug's wife, was up for anything, so I gave it a go.
I. LOVE. THIS. CAKE!
 A few of the details--

Puggies...


Black Lab....

Mr. Doug, panning for gold atop a mountain, decked out in his Georgia wear, with a penguin peeking in to say hello.

This cake is a surprise for Doug, and I hope he loves it!  Happy birthday!

Marble cake, cookies-and-cream filling, buttercream with fondant accents.  First time with a technique known as "spiral carving" to make the path.

No comments:

Post a Comment