Thursday, July 7, 2011

Check Mates!!

I delivered this groom's cake last weekend for Cindy, a teacher friend whose daughter was getting married in Decatur.  She told me that the groom loves three things-- chess, his wife-to-be, and their dog Bodie.  Cindy had the cute idea of making a chess board, but replacing the king and queen with the bride and groom.  Bodie was to take the place of one of the pawns.
I LOVE how this came out!  I hand sculpted all the chess pieces of fondant, which was slightly interesting given that my knowledge of chess is minimal! This cake was a monster (16x16x4... you do the math.  I think it weighed 50 pounds!), but it was so much fun to make. 
Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Dye!!

Chocolate cake, cookies and cream filling.  Buttercream frosting with fondant squares and chess pieces.



1 comment: